Friday 28 August 2015

Shehu Sani explains tweet showing “love” to Bill Cosby

Senator Shehu Sani
The senator representing Kaduna Central in the Senate, Shehu Sani, has explained why he showed “love” – against reproach – to American actor and comedian, Bill Cosby, accused of sexually assaulting over 40 women.
PREMIUM TIMES reported on July 28 that when Time magazine tweeted that the Bill Cosby endowed professorship at the Spelman College was discontinued, Senator Sani expressed displeasure over the development, replying through his Twitter handle @shehusani that “We still love #Cosby”.
In an exclusive interview with PREMIUM TIMES, Mr. Sani said the actor has made immense contributions to the field of art, noting that accusations of sexual assault should not be used to judge his entire career.
“Well, on a lighter mood, I don’t even know who Bill Cosby is, or what he stands for, beyond the fact that he is a popular comedian who has done a lot as a black man from our own race. I believe he has contributed a lot in his field of arts.
“You are a journalist today doing your professional duty. If by tomorrow you are caught doing bad things, it would not be said that from the beginning of your life to the end that you have been a bad person.
“What I was saying in that aspect was that we should appreciate the contributions he made to the field of art. But, as far as the allegations are concerned, that is his business. I only appreciate the role he has played in arts, not necessarily sharing the condemnable criminal act, which, for now, still remains mere suspicion.
“I have told you, I have been an old prisoner for a very long time, and I have learnt to be very cautious in condemning people. Before I went to prison, I used to think that everybody there was a sinner. It was when I went there that I found out that what one was seeing was not the same. Since then, I have learnt not to easily reach a conclusion on an issue that remains an allegation based on suspicion. I prefer a conviction before I make a clear position,” said the senator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...